Friday, June 10, 2011

Benefits of brisk walking

We have read everywhere about the benefits of walking but rarely do most of us put it into the practice. After reading a few articles on the Internet, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of benefits of walking. Do you know that walking for at least 30 minutes a day is not only good for your heart but it is also good for your brains. Studies have shown that there is less cognitive decline on women who walk daily. Even a 10-minute brisk walking is enough to improve cognitive function. Wow...got to keep walking. Besides, walking for 150 minutes per week can reduce the risk of diabetes by 60 percent. I am going to use myself as the guinea pig. Gonna do this and see if my blood sugar comes down in my next checkup.

In my housing area in town, a few elderly women starts their walk at 6.30am. I think I should be able to join them if I get up early. I calculated that if I do a quick round the block, it would take me about 15min. I would still be able to bathe and get ready for school as it is only a stone's throw from my house. Some of my friends said I could do my walking in the evening but I would like to throw in a good 15min walk in case I have to go for a meeting or run a course or extra classes and I would miss my walk.
For beginners, it is best to begin with 15-20 minutes of walk and increase as you get stronger. It does get easier. When I first started out, I could only do 10 minutes of brisk walking. Today, three weeks later, I can do 2km without huffing and puffing.
It is important that you get a good pair of shoes for walking. As I have plantar fasciitis, I bought an extra gel cushion for the ball of my feet.

1 comment: