Thursday, June 9, 2011

Why we find it hard to lose weight?

I have been doing my own research and reading. Why is it that we work so hard and still cannot lose weight? How I wish it could be like the Biggest Losers reality show where people lose many pounds every week. The problem is a result of these two hormones - insulin and glucagon. Insulin, our fat storing hormone, has a duty to control the rising blood sugar by transporting from the blood stream to the muscle,liver and fat cells. Insulin drives sugar into the cell to be utilized or stored as fat.
The opposing hormone to insulin is glucagon. It is a fat-releasing hormone which is stimulated by the intake of protein in our diet. It is also suppressed by the intake of carbohydrates.
To put it in layman's term, when we eat a lot of white bread, rice, mee, soft drinks, insulin levels begin to rise rapidly and glucagon drops.This high levels of insulin now drive the sugar into our muscles, liver and fat. So, if we hardly move or exercise, this will be stored as fat.
Therefore, eating a balanced diet and exercising make sense. So, I need to eat sensibly to release glucagon if I want to lose weight. When I am continually eating high-glycemic carbohydrates like nasi lemak, mee goreng, roti canai, white bread, I am stimulating the release of insulin and suppressing glucagon. We are carbo-addicts. And if I continue to do this, I will have insulin resistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment