Friday, June 24, 2011

Eating well

After more than a month of exercising and eating properly, i have managed to lose 5 pounds...not much compared to the Biggest Loser's standard but anyone who had struggled with weight would know how hard it is...More importantly, my blood sugar is back to normal...from 6.1 to 5.5.
To keep this up, I need to be very organized and vigilant. The canteen food does not help at all. It is all greasy stuff like fried meehoon, mee and kueh teow. So, I need to prepare my own breakfast. Malaysians eat a very carbo-based breakfast. We have roti canai, noodles, bread, nasi lemak and more...This does not augur well for our health in the long run. 18 years of canteen food is enough to cause a lot of diseases.

For breakfast, I have been having oats or a chicken/tuna salad.

I make savoury oatmeal, adding chicken, mushrooms and some vege. It tastes like porridge. Some days I put fruits and some nuts. I add almonds, walnuts and some raisins. The important thing is it must taste nice otherwise I will not take it for long.

Other days, I make a salad. I buy some organic vege from supermarkets, add some cooked chicken/tuna, any fruits, some olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Add some salt and pepper. It actually tastes quite nice. After chomping for 20 minutes, I feel quite full. Mid-morning, I take an apple. This is quite fast to make in the morning when I am rushing for time. But it needs some planning. I cook extra chicken the night before and just keep it. Or, when I have a roast chicken, the extras goes into my salad.

Twice in a week, I make a vegetable omelette. I know eggs are full of cholesterol but it is very good protein. I buy the low-cholesterol eggs(don't really know how true it is) and I sometimes use two egg whites. I add any vegetables I have (kuchai, any greens, carrots) and I sprinkle some low-fat cheese. Really delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment