Thursday, June 9, 2011

It's time to regain my health

Today is the first morning I woke up without heart palpitations. It has been a month since it all started. After many visits to hospitals, checkups, blood tests and all kinds of tests, I have found that this happens for a good reason. I found that I am overweight, not pleasantly plump, as I always fooled myself into believing. My blood glucose is slightly high and this would lead to diabetes and heart diseases if I continue to live a sedentary lifestyle. What happened to the sportswoman that I know I was, I asked myself. What happened? For the past 3 years, life, stress and most of all, laziness took over. Other things became more important than my health. I allowed myself to be lazy, to watch Tv instead of doing something else, to continue to eat whatever there is instead of planning. I let my work and commitments dictate how I live my life.
So, I take this as a wake-up call. It is not too late. I have decided to make several commitments to arrest the decline. Firstly, I need to plan my meals carefully and that is not easy, having to cook for everyone at home. I am gathering healthy recipes and making a plan when school reopens. I need to shop for certain things that would be good for my health. Low-fat yogurt, wholemeal bread, etc. No more fried mee, nasi lemak (well, maybe once or twice)and KFC.
Today, I started breakfast with a vegetable omellete, horlicks with low-fat milk.
Mid-morning snack would be an apple. Lunch would be tricky as I need to prepare for everyone but no more fried chicken or lemak stuff.
I am also happy to say that I have continuously maintained my exercise regime for two weeks. I know that the target is not to just lose weight but I want to get my fitness back. Once I start exercising, I will be able to restore the normal response to insulin.
So, this blog will be about my journey to regain and maintain my health. Come, join me.



No comments:

Post a Comment